What's new in IBM i V7R2 and IBM POWER8 Systems (OS019)
Request a Quote for this class
About this Course
This course is designed to enable you to acquire the skills necessary to prepare for installing and leveraging the new functions of IBM i 7.2 on POWER7 and POWER8 hardware.
The emphasis is on the hardware and software components introduced in 2014 announcements of POWER8 hardware and V7R2.
This basic course is intended for existing IBM i administrators, users, and support personnel.
At Course Completion
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the new models of POWER8
- Describe the new enhancements to IBM i 7.2 software release
- Discuss the major planning steps to upgrade to IBM i 7.2
- Discuss the significant POWER8 hardware
- Describe single root IO virtualization
- Describe the major enhancements of DB2
- Describe PowerHA/DR strategy and product offerings
- Discuss the major functions of PowerVP
- Describe the enhancements to IBM i Access
- Describe the enhancements of IBM Systems Navigator for i
- Discuss the enhancements development enhancements
- Discuss the enhancements IBM i mobile
You should have the following recommended skills:
- Basic understanding of Power Systems with IBM i architecture.
- Basic understanding of the support available in a current release of IBM i.
- Unit 1 - IBM i 7.2 overview
- Unit 2 - POWER8 upgrade planning
- Unit 3 - Upgrading to IBM i 7.2
- Unit 4 - Technical refresh updates (1 of 3)
- Unit 5 - Technical refresh updates (2 of 3)
- Unit 6 - Technical refresh updates (3 of 3)
- Unit 7 - Single root I/O virtualization
- Unit 8 - DB2 for i enhancements in 7.2
- Unit 9 - PowerHA enhancements
- Exercise 1 - Create an IASP
- Exercise 2 - Delete an IASP
- Unit 10 - PowerVP: Virtualization Performance Intelligence
- Unit 11 - Systems management
- Exercise 3 - Configure 5250 Session using IBM Client Access Solutions
- Exercises 4 - Configuring 5250 HMC Interface using IBM Client Access Solutions
- Unit 12 - Application development and mobile enhancements