About this Course
This newly expanded 4-day course is designed for team members who are responsible for the installation, configuration, and administration of Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2015. It features a mix of lectures and hands-on lab exercises designed to ensure attendees gain the maximum benefit from the course.
This course has been designed to equip attendees with a solid knowledge of the many areas that a TFS champion is often called upon to configure and manage. Key topics covered in this course include product installation, security & permissions, reporting, customization, and team build.
If you’re responsible for looking after your organization’s TFS Server, then this is the course for you.
Product and Version Compatibility
- Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Online - This course focuses on TFS servers hosted within your organization (on-premises). It is not suitable for teams using Visual Studio Online.
- Previous versions of Team Foundation Server - This course is suitable for teams that are currently using TFS 2013. Much of the course content will be directly applicable to TFS 2013, especially later updates such as updates 3, 4, or 5.
This course is designed for administrators and software development professionals responsible for the day-to-day administration and operation of a Team Foundation Server. Every organization using TFS should have at least one or two “TFS champions” who are skilled in the topics and areas covered in this course.
At Course Completion
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Plan TFS deployment and install TFS 2015 in a variety of topologies
- Create appropriate service accounts
- Use the Best Practices Analyzer to validate a TFS deployment
- Plan a migration and/or upgrade to TFS 2015
- Understand the value of quarterly updates and how to install them
- Configure SMTP support and customize email alerts
- Keep TFS data safe using backup and restore
- Monitor the health and performance of a TFS instance
- Plan project hierarchies using team projects and team project collections
- Create, modify, rename, and delete team projects and team project collections
- Configure standard role-based security for team projects
- Use advanced security to manage fine-grained security
- Configure version control settings including backward compatibility
- Customize the process template to better suit the team’s requirements
- Understand the reporting infrastructure and create custom Excel reports
- Configure data warehouse and OLAP cube refresh and rebuilds
- Plan, install, and manage the new build environments introduced in 2015
- Optimize build infrastructure to provide fast feedback to teams
- Install and configure build infrastructure for legacy XAML builds (pre-2015 builds)
Attendees should have some familiarity with installations of server products such as operating systems, SQL server, etc. Some experience using Visual Studio would also be beneficial.